Constellation Wall Art

image

This is not on the wall yet, because I need to buy more batteries for it. I borrowed batteries from a remote. Am I the only one who runs short of batteries and does this? I hope not!

This project has been a long time coming. I’ve had it pinned for years, but even worse, I bought the supplies weeks ago. Finally getting around to it and I love it!

I started by selecting the constellation for Arthur. I will be doing one for Chiara, but I couldn’t wait to blog about this one because it turned out so pretty! Arthur got Orion. Chiara will be getting Pegasus.

image

I laid my printout of Orion over the black glitter scrapbook paper I had selected as the background, then poked a nail through the star locations. Be sure to hold your paper still or your constellation will be goofy looking.

image

The messiest part of this whole endeavor was this part. To help show the shape the stars form, I used thin strips of silver glitter paper. Maybe 1/8″? I didn’t measure, just kept making them skinnier until I liked how it looked. Then you cut the strips until they are the distance between “stars”. I used Elmer’s Glue-All. It holds well, but I was sticky and glittery by the end of it!

image

I may look for another option when I do Chiara’s, but I also used the Glue-All to attach the paper to the canvas. You can either do a 12×12 canvas, or like I did, a 12×16. I am still looking for the right sticker letters, but I am going to put the constellation name along the bottom.

image

Once the glue has set, note the bumps the glue leaves, take a small drill, I used a Dremel to make the star holes larger. Be sure to use a drill bit approximately the size of the lights you’re using.

image

Another sticky and messy part! At Tony’s suggestion I used hot glue as a way to hold the lights in place. I held the light in place and circled the base with hot glue. I hate hot glue! The stringy bits are so annoying!

image

I used these battery operated lights, found in the wedding section of Walmart.

Arthur was excited with the final product and can’t wait for it to go into his room. Sadly it will have to rest on a shelf because the lights extend past the canvas frame, making hanging impossible. Oh well!

Original pin came from here. They did all of the zodiac constellations for their art.

It went rather quickly, once I actually started this. So choose your constellation and get going!

Happy crafting!

Happy Ever After Couples

image

This was a super simple pin, and all I had to do was find the appropriate frame after playing on the computer for a little bit!
The original pinner was a genius with this idea! It is a list of couples, including the bride and groom (Tony and I) printed on nice paper and hung up!
The only change I made, was I selected couples who had a happily ever after. The original pinner had Romeo and Juliet, and I didn’t want to use them, as they had such a tragic fate. Most were fictional couples, Westley and Buttercup for example, and I also included my husband’s parents and my own. The original pinner did this as well.

image

All you need to do is come up with a list of couples you would like included. The more you have, the better. Then, allow yourself time to sit and play in Microsoft Word. Start by centering your text and type out your couples names, one set per line.
After your couples names are typed, select a font you like. I thought it best to this afterwards, so you could see how the names would look. I put Tony and I’s names in red and in between, I used the heart clipart, and angled it until I had the way I wanted it. You can also color the clipart to suit yourself.
Now comes the fun and time consuming part! Adjust the size of your couples names until they line up closely on the edges. You have to adjust also, either removing names or resizing them all to fit onto one page. I also adjusted which couples had ‘and’ versus ‘&’ between their names to help. Then after everything was sized appropriately, I adjusted the order so I didn’t have all the big fonts on top and all the little fonts on the bottom.
Once everything looks good, you print it out on some pretty paper. I used resume cover paper that was on clearance at work. Frame it up amd hang it in a place that suits you! Mine is hanging with our wedding picture and our Gettysburg era portrait. It finishes up the wall quite nicely!
I hope you have as much fun with this as I did!