I made a ton of these guys for the kids parties this year. We didn’t have a huge turnout for Arthur’s, and Chiara’s was cancelled due to bad behavior, so we are still playing with these funny little guys.
I started out by finding some Lego molds on Amazon. I had some huge issues getting them on time as it was a third party vendor, but the customer service people at Amazon are fabulous, and I got my molds finally.
Then it was time to raid the crayon bag. At the end of the school year it’s just easier for me to throw whatever crayons survived into a gallon ziploc bag instead of having a ton of partially full boxes.
The kids loved this part, at least at first. Apparently it gets boring after a while. You have to peel the papers off, then fill in your trays.
First batch by the kids and I. I wanted to keep the mini figures solid colors, Chiara went multi colored for her brick crayons. Arthur stuck with blue and his favorite color, green.
They come out of the oven all liquefied, after following the directions that came with the molds. I was more than a little disappointed in these molds because after the second batch, the blue mold had melted along the seams. I’m still working on getting my replacements!
After the crayons were completely hardened, I popped then out of the tray to sit overnight. I wanted to make sure they had cooled all the way. Then I bagged them up for party favors.
I definitely see myself making more crayons in the future, but I’ll definitely find better molds before I do!
I actually saw this awesome video on a Facebook link, and had to try this quickly. After all, the supplies needed for this can be found in almost every home in America.
•6 soda (pop) cans
•hot glue gun and glue
•wire or pipe cleaner
•manual can opener
I love what Coke and Sprite have going on right now with their cans. Coke has fun words describing people, things like “Legend”, “Superstar” and “Dreamer”. Sprite just recently started with quotes from songs (at least I think they’re song lyrics).
This next step absolutely blew my mind! You take any manual can opener, although I have met people who don’t know how to use them, and run it around the edge, like any other can, and you will be left with a perfectly smooth – edged, open can.
Next step is to take your hot glue gun and attach the cans to each other, keeping the words or quotes facing outward.
I had a bit of an issue keeping the cans perfectly squared up, but I never claimed to be perfect!
Next step requires your hole punch and wire. The original pin only had four cans with holes punched, but I wanted a little more reinforcement. I punched holes across from each other on all six cans, this let me thread the wire through them all, criss-crossing the wire like shoelaces. Then I just doubled up a longer strand of wire and made myself a handle.
It was a quick project, and it was funny because Tony was just as amazed as I was by the smoothness left behind by the can opener!
This would be a nice addition to your summer barbecue or picnic, so get crafting!
Pretty cute, right? I was sorting through some buildup on my server today, finding mostly mail, a phone book and 2 old newspapers. Gee, don’t I have something I can do with this? Maybe something pinned to my ‘Paper Crafts’ board? Of course I do!
The original site was a little interesting, with ads showing up on the top and bottom of my screen, I had a view of maybe three inches of the actual site. Luckily the directions are simple!
You start by taking a newspaper and cutting the paper at the ‘seam’ so you end up with 11-12 pieces that look like this.
Then you roll them length wise, about an inch in diameter, then press them flat, until you end up with this:
To form your base, you need to take 8 of your strips, four each way and you interlock them, like so:
The next step, I found a way to cheat a little bit. You take one of your strips and tape the ends together.
Now, you just alternate the sides, as you would with any basket weave, continuing up your basket’s sides.
Once you get towards the top of your upward pointing pieces, you can fold over the ends to tuck them in. The picture is a little weird to understand, but I bent the piece over and tucked it under my last ‘paper ring’.
The basket itself was pretty cute. I dressed it up a little with one of Chiara’s ribbons, as seen above, and it turns out that it’s sturdier than you’d think!
It’s actually sturdy enough to hold all of these toys without ripping! Not bad for about 15 minutes of my time!